- Add Spice: Capsaicin, the spicy compound found in the peppers like chili and cayenne, has been shown to suppress appetite, boost metabolism, and fight inflammation in the body.
- Whole grain buns: A diet high in whole grains results in a decrease in body fat, than a diet high in refined grains.
- Better Barbecue Sauce: Look for a sauce with no added sugar, or one that doesn’t list sugar first on the ingredient list, even better, make your own sauce!
- Leaner Red Meat: Lean cuts of red meat have a higher protein-to-fat ratio, so don’t forget to trim the fat! A diet high in protein and low in processed carbs is the most effective for weight loss. B vitamins in meat help your body convert nutrients into energy.
- Grill your Fish: Grilled fresh fish contain the highest levels of belly-filling protein.
- Dry Rub or Marinate Meat: Spices contained in rubs are calorie-free, loaded with flavor, and filled with antioxidants and micronutrients. Acids found in marinades help tenderize tough meats and allow the herbs and seasonings to work their way into the meat, adding flavor!
- Don’t Forget the Veggies: Try grilling your vegetables!
- Ditch the Hot Dogs and Brats: Try chicken sausages, that are low in calories, high in protein, and loaded with flavor, instead of hot dogs and brats.
Share your favorite healthy grilling tips with us!